by Daniel R. Marvello
And now for the moment you all have been waiting for: the first Magic Appreciation Tour flash fiction writing competition!
Several MA Tour authors expressed an interest in writing to a flash fiction prompt when I asked them about it, so I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with. This is my first time running one of these, and as always, I would greatly appreciate any feedback you would be willing to share regarding how the competition can be improved.
- Story length: 500-750 words
- Entry must begin with the sentence, “Some days I wish I had never met that woman.” You may use it as it stands or as a quoted line from one of your characters.
- Genre: Magical fantasy (big surprise). Include some form of magic, but you can mention it in passing; it doesn’t have to play a big role.
- Don’t use an excerpt from your WIP or published book. Your entry should be original material, although it’s yours, so you can obviously reuse it later in a published work.
- Post your entry on your own blog and send me an email when it is ready (use the Magic Appreciation Tour Contact page if you don’t have my email address handy.)
- I must receive notification of your entry by the end of June (e.g. before July 1, 12:00 AM).
- The winner will be announced on July 2, 2012.
- The competition is not restricted to MA Tour authors. Anyone may enter as long as the blog post containing your entry includes a reference to the Magic Appreciation Tour site.
- The winner receives a free copy of the Magic Appreciation Tour book of your choice (max value $10).
- All entries receive a mention on the MA Tour blog.
- Entries will be judged by my wife (my entry won’t be included in the prize competition).
For the Fall 2012 tour, I’ll be more organized about this and get more prizes lined up beforehand. This time, I had to punt. If you are interested in donating a prize to this round or for a future tour, please let me know and I’ll sweeten the pot with it. It would be nice to have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes.
Likewise, if you would like to help judge this or future competitions, please let me know.
If you have any questions or suggestions, you can always contact me via email or through the Magic Appreciation Tour Contact page.